Posted by Meg
Easy Ways to Improve Your Family's Health
One of the biggest factors in long term health changes is having the support of your family. Making healthy changes as a family can not only improve everyone’s health, but also be a bonding activity and can feel like a game for kids. Today we are sharing our top five changes that are easy ways to improve your family’s health.
1. Commit to taking a family walk every day. Even if it is just 15 minute walk after dinner, this is an important habit to instill early. Getting outside is helpful to balance the alert and calming nervous systems, and is healthy for the body and the mind.
2. Switch from pasta to spaghetti squash. This one might involve a lot of tomato sauce to mask the spaghetti squash, but its the same color and a similar texture to regular pasta, so as long as your kids don’t see the squash you might just have your picky eaters fooled!
3. Make your own condiments. Most store bought dressings contain toxic oils like canola or vegetable oil. It takes less than 5 minutes to make things like vinaigrette dressing and mayonnaise, and you know exactly what went into them. You can also get your kids involved in this by letting them decide what flavor of dressing to make that evening or helping you get messy making mayonnaise!
4. Switch to raw milk. Raw milk has been vilified over the years, due to potential bacteria, but the reality is, pasteurized cow's milk is very inflammatory and the processing makes the lactose harder to tolerate and the fat more difficult to digest. Many people are switching to non-dairy alternatives, which can be great, but store-bought nut milks are usually full of added sugar and thickening agents that can be harmful to digestion. Similarly, soy milk is also full of flavorings and sweeteners, and is usually made from genetically modified soy.
5. Reduce Screen Time. We are all guilty of spending the majority of our day in front of a screen, but as a family commit to reducing screen time, or even making a pact of no screens after dinner. Not only will your family be more present, but everyone will sleep better, since the blue light emitted from screens disrupts REM sleep.
Remember, getting healthy doesn’t have to be hard. Make small changes daily and make it a challenge to do one thing better than the day before.
The Goodie Squad