Posted by Meg
Is coconut oil worth the hype?
If you’ve opened up a health magazine or listened to a nutrition podcast or looked at any healthy living blog, you are guaranteed to know about the miraculous coconut oil. For about two years, people have been obsessing about this product that seemed to come out of nowhere, but became an overnight household staple. Whether you’re vegan, paleo, raw or just like healthy eating, you’re probably already using coconut oil, but today we are breaking down the benefits of this ingredient du-jour and so you can decide if it’s the miracle superfood that many proclaim.
What is it?
Coconut oil is a healthy, plant source of a wide variety of necessary fatty acids. These fats support liver and gallbladder function to encourage detoxification, improve cholesterol, reduce inflammation, strengthen cellular membranes to enhance cellular communication and decrease wrinkles, stabilize blood sugar, and promote satiety. The phytonutrient content of coconut oil also make it antibacterial and antifungal.
- For Blood Sugar Support: You may find coconut oil in energy smoothies to provide lasting energy and prevent a sugar crash from any fruit. It may be included in post workout smoothies due to its anti inflammatory properties. Coconut oil’s support of the liver and gallbladder may also earn it a role in a cleansing smoothie.
- To prevent stretch marks during pregnancy
- For oil pulling, an ancient technique believed to cleanse and detoxify your mouth and gums. Click here to learn more.
- As a makeup remover: Dab some coconut oil, in liquid form, onto a cotton ball and use it to gently remove eye make-up.
- As a moisturizer after the shower.
- As a lip balm.
Chocolate Ice Cream Crackle Shell
This is a simple recipe that you're kids will love and that you can feel good about giving them!
- 2 TBS Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup Chopped Chocolate, we recommend using an organic variety
Directions: Add the chocolate and the coconut oil to a heat resistant bowl and heat in the microwave until melted. Stir every 30 seconds. Once melted, drizzle over bowls of ice cream and watch it magically harden as it comes in contact with the cold treat.
There it is, your quick lesson on coconut oil. Is it magical? Probably not, but is it a superfood? Definitely; for it’s blood sugar stabilizing benefits, its anti-fungal properties and its ability to provide energy, we’d say that this superfood is here to stay.
Coo Coo for Coconut,
The Goodie Squad